Thursday, October 22, 2009

Critters on the farm!

Big green tree frog chillin on the front veranda.
A big ol' stick bug hangin around the house!
Daddy emu with his baby chix. The funny story is that the last batch of kids he wore out from running around for food too much. We have to keep an eye on him & make sure he doesn't lose this batch too.
White lipped tree frog-apparently sorta rare-but again sitting on the table on the back porch.
Passing by wallaby in early morning dew.
There are so many stinkin cute baby calves all the time. I got Troy to name his last one Bambi cause we found it on its 2nd day & it was falling all over the place -reminded me of the movie.
Frog in the bathroom-actually at night they sneak in everywhere & are hopping all over the house. They are poisonous though so you can't touch them with your bare hands. Apparently they came over by accident on a ship from England centuries ago, their population exploded, & now they're a huge pest. Sadly they have killed of numerous native plants & wildlife so the aussies try to kill them whenever they get a chance.
This gian toad I found in my boot one morninng as I was groggily trying to stuff my foot in & thinking, "what is in my boot-did I leacve a sock in here?" When I shook my boot out jumped Mr. Toad. They really are everywhere-hiding in mop buckets, under newspapers-quite inconvenient!
A few kangaroos in a nearby paddock getting an evening snack.
A kookabura! They are also everywhere-and YES is IS true they laugh at you while they sit in the gum trees-just like the song-except I usually feel like they are either mocking me or about to attack like a pack of hyenas. The kids assure me the chances of me getting eaten by a kookabura a very slim.
One of the dogs-Rove. He is usually the culprit for stealing and hidind my flip flops. You can't leave anything lying around while Rove is out.
One of the beautiful little finches they breed.
This is a cattle bird that got stuck in the molasses tub. So I went all national geographic & baled him out & washed him off...
but then he was freezing cold & soaking wet-unable to fly away so I towel dried him off too...only to have him get back in the next three days in a row at which point I got tired of saving his life. Sadly he met his demise 3 days later in yet another tub og molasses...and no birds have fallen in since.
This little caterpillar was making his journey from front of house to back via the living room.

So I've probably taken a million pictures of various critters I've come accross while working on the farm. Pretty much everyone knows by now that if any animals come wandering by they tell me to run & get my camera because I always want a picture of it. I just wanted to share a few of my strange encounters so far.

Over & out rainbow trout!

2 comments:

  1. Carol very interesting pic! Is this the same girl who screams bloody murder when she sees a spider?! we looked up kookabura I remember singing the song but wasn't sure what it was good to her things are going well for you! love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ok around pretty much anything but spiders...I have to have the kids kill the spiders for me-but I don't scream when I see them anymore-they do get pretty scary big down here though.

    ReplyDelete